Saturday, November 17, 2012

Case Logic GBP-116 16-Inch Laptop Backpack Review In Red

I was looking for a new backpack for the sake of carrying around my laptop. I had one of those JanSport backpacks that almost every student from middle school to college had at some point in their life. I always lugged that thing around with me and it was obvious I had a laptop in my bag (the laptop stretched out the corners so it transformed that backpack into a rectangular shape). And I was always worried about it getting damaged, and always had to deal with a laptop sleeve.

So I was Amazon surfing (OK, I was really looking to see if they had any deals for Black Friday...), and stumbled across the Case Logic backpack.

Image from: Amazon.com

Available at: http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-GBP-116-16-Inch-Backpack/dp/B004S5W9MK/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1353182372&sr=8-11&keywords=case+logic+red

Amazon had the backpack for $20.90 (listing price was $39.99) and after extensive review searching I finally succumbed to purchasing it. The backpack comes in two other colors besides red, a black and a very dark muted grey/purple color ("Tannin" they call it). When I lasted checked, the Tannin color was the same price as the red.

A red backpack for my laptop for only about $20 bucks? Sweet.

TA-DA! Please excuse the dirty table. I was working on a bookbinding that used an absurd amount of glue
D:
The backpack is 13.3 x 7.5 x 19" and claims it will fit most laptops 15-16.4" (mine was 15.6).
Rather than the typical canvas found in a lot of backpacks, this one is made of Polyester. The image from Amazon of the backpack is more true to the color than my camera produced, thanks to my bad lighting.

It has a total of four compartments: the main one, a medium in the front, and two smaller ones located above and in front of the medium. The small pocket above the medium compartment is vertical, meant for easy access. The backpack also has pockets on the side advertised for holding your umbrella or your drink. While I have not tried it out yet, I heard some drinks cannot fit inside. (I will update if that is the case!) These pockets are made with a stretchy material to keep anything stored in there secured, really.

The medium compartment is roomy, enough to fit my camera, keys, wallet, lotion, pepper spray, and still have a lot of room.


The main compartment, meant to store the laptop and your books/binders/notebooks/whatever you want to put in also has a mesh pocket inside to easily store something. The compartment itself isn't incredibly huge (I could fit 3 text books inside if that helps) yet stores quite a bit more than the Jansport (especially with those extra pockets). The slot to slide in your laptop is separated with an half an inch of padding. The padding between the back of the backpack was quite thick (about an inch) and I was never worried about damaging my laptop while traveling. 

The straps are very wide as well (about 3 inches wide) and are nicely padded. Compared to my JanSport back, it makes everything much more comfortable. The straps on the Jansport were thinner (about 2 inches wide) and gave me less support when I had my laptop with me. 

My only gripe would be that the top of the laptop isn't as sercure. Granted, when your stuff is inside the backpack, they are about an inch or two below where the laptop shows (textbooks are usually about 12-14 inches tall and the backpack is designed to carry up to 16.4" laptop) so nothing in your backpack really touches the laptop. My laptop won't get damaged but better safe than sorry, right? Or at least a small Velcro clasp to prevent it from slipping out of the backpack just in case something happens.

My laptop peeking out :)

What probably excited me the most was the interior and accent colors on the backpack. Amazon doesn't have an image of the interior of the backpack so I looked around on Google. It looked like the inside was white, so I got a very pleasant surprise when I opened it.
The color inside was a pasty minty blue color that looked beautiful with the bright red. It is almost comparable to the iconic blue that Tiffany & Co. uses. My camera washes out the color, but I guarantee you it is a lovely shade.

About as close as I can get. I love this color
The last thing I'll talk about is the "Strap Management System" that Case Logic boasts about on most of their backpacks. A Velcro strap keeps the excess strap from dangling everywhere and out of your way.


I did look on their website and did not see my backpack on their product line. Perhaps they have stopped their production. In that case, Amazon would be the best bet.

A side by side comparison of my JanSport and Case Logic backpacks. The Case Logic is obviously a bit taller, but fortunately it doesn't look goofy on me and doesn't make me look like a turtle.

I personally love my Case Logic backpack. I can dance around with my laptop strapped to my back now. The only real problem I have with it is the that the bright color attracts the bees! *insert crazily waving arms and running around*

======

Today's Happiness: I love how my cat sleeps on my bed at night and jumps on me if he ever needs let out of my room

4 comments:

  1. Wow thanks for this post! I just ordered this backpack (in red, of course) a few days ago and I just can't wait for it so I'd been searching ALL over for more pictures of this backpack and your post came up! Hallelujah! Love how detailed you were, I just wish Case Logic had pictures of each of the backpacks, just to see the different color schemes such as the minty blue and red here. Again, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks a lot for the bag preview :)
    What I'd like to ask is: is the red bag proper for guys? or is it a lady red? or even some kind of a lady bag.
    Waiting for your input

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you for the comment :D
      The bag itself is unisex so a guy wouldn't have a problem with this particular color (this might fit better on a guy than a 5"2 girl, actually..). The color reminds me a lot of the super saturated red that Apple's Product (Red) has.
      However, I would like to say that I did eventually get tired of the color was and half wished I had opted for the black or grey, but it is still a great bag!

      Delete
  3. I found your this post while searching for information about blog-related research ... It's a good post .. keep posting and updating information. Blackpack

    ReplyDelete